Sunday, March 22, 2020

Spinning paper and thinking about next weaving rescue

Today I wove three silk-dyed coffee filters. Hence the staining on my fingers, synthetics much more vivid than natural dyes, and the damp towel keeping the paper from drying out before I get it spun.



I did the spinning standing over a wastebasket with tissues in it, so the dangling thread didn't drop on the beige rug..

This is why artists wear black in the studio, particularly when working with charcoal. No charcoal here, but inadvertent dyeing. I'm told people think the black is a kind of uniform or signal. Except when worn by posers, it's just practical workwear.

So three bobbins ready for when I warp the Hokett to make side by side paper weavings.



And on the left side a cotton weaving I need to finish in some way. I drew all the warp threads through to one side, and I may make a series of braids and beads, for a sturdy cookbook bookmark. Fiber art serving culinary art.


8 comments:

  1. Interesting process
    Wearing black, I was told by first drawing professor, is what artists wear. I feel jeans splattered with paint is attractive. I will consider black, though.☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you could have your best studio gear and your backup studio gear..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Great description of the life in art. Or the art in life.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh. You are so cool. How much fun and creativity you have. Do you have a YouTube channel for me to follow? I'd love to see the how-to videos of what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No YouTube, but thank you for the compliment. I post quite a bit in here of the process. You're welcome to try it.

      Delete
  5. ('scuse if this is a duplicate comment)...as I was saying....I do love that wonderful saturated colour. Well worth the colourful hands I think. Now I wonder what you will do with that beautifully patterned towel. Do tell!?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.