Wednesday, March 4, 2020

First assembled Little Book, dress rehearsal

This is the assembly.


Covers are four selvedge cotton warp yarn, three signatures (groups) of pages, each signature four pages, handmade paper, red onionskins and abaca.



Right now the moving parts are just resting in place, before I stitch each signature then attach them a to each other and the covers.


 You can see how lively this paper is -- it goes sproing when you open it.

After stitching, I'll press it under some weight.My heart fills when I see this little work. So this is showing me the idea's working up to now.  Next I settle on what binding stitching to do, and what threads.

Happy camper.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you. Considering how diminutive it is, it's causing me disproportionate happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this. is. charming. At first I thought, oh cool, she's made cookies. Lol, that's just what the first photo looks like. Big chewy cookies.

    You've made a new thing, and it's working, and I"d say if you weren't ridiculously happy, there'd be something wrong in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it looked like some food group, too. Especially next to the apple, which is there to show size, not as an accompaniment to a snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks a bit crunchy, like wheat crackers. You may have created a new food, here.

    (ignore the email I just sent you. Mail Daemon decided my message was not appropriate for you...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pages are in fact edible, though not meant to be eaten. They're red onionskins, abaca (banana) fiber and water. They're crackly but don't splinter. The cover is very soft to the touch, though.

    On to stitching tomorrow. I got new glasses today and I can see better what I'm about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I'm having way too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I have some catching up to do. The pages look amazing. And reading the comments and seeing that they're technically edible, I don't mind admitting my first thought was that they look like crispy, wispy little crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This often happens with handmade paper! It does look like crackers when it's crisp and wild. When there's more abaca fiber and it's softer, it's a bit like white bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks as though there's amazing texture in those papers which blends nicely with the weaving on the covers. Makes me think of something found on an archaeological dig - or at least fragments thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The papers are lovely to handle. Softer than they look. Very friendly paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.