Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Escape from the attack of the wild hexies.

I've been trying to get done with this project, now that the hexies have done their thing. They're going to be a cheerful sofa pillow, a spread of them on the front, and a little constellation on the back.




 The backs are interesting, see the group turned over before they vanish forever




But actually attaching them has mysteriously been impossible to just get on and do. Until I finally groaned and trudged up to the studio, to plug in the iron and get the melting tape stuff to temporarily attach them.

The obstacle being not wanting to get them attached awkwardly. But the tape stuff took care of that issue, holding them flat in place, and now I can enjoy the stitching.

Now I'm working round, stitching down the edges and feeling much better about the whole thing, now that the end is in sight.

I think hexies are too rigid for my taste, but it was a great experiment anyway.

And this beautiful fabric background is hand batiked cotton from Indonesia, fair trade, meaning the artisan got a proper price, through good old Dharma Trading.

I got a couple of other designs, too, a yard of each, as a trial. So much more subtle and lovely than the cheap and cheerful bits I used for the hexies, but they lift them up to a better level.

And I can get on to the next interesting idea, involving piecing, printing and weaving, but the hexies were, you might say, putting a hex on my energy.  Just blocking everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.