Friday, March 20, 2020

New skills for old work

That method I just learned for fringeless weaving, I applied to a piece still on the loom because I need to use the loom.

Here it is on


And off, warps drawn through back and forth, worked pretty well



Then I went back to see if I could resolve the spaghetti junction I'd made trying to do the same thing with beginner's skills on a couple of finished pieces.



 I ended up with a wobbly but okay result. I did have to do a good bit of weaving in using a tiny crochet hook. But it ended up fairly well.

It's possible these pieces might become parts of assemblages with Woolly Books. Here's the second finished


 Spine side


Page side



See how pleasingly this binding allows pages to lie flat.

While I worked, I had a reading of Great Expectations going. MJam on YouTube, reading a couple of times a week, about half hour audios. I just found them so I'm listening in sequence. He's a good actor/reader.

  Dickens was really a spoken storyteller, though he wrote, and his work was never designed to be read in a big fat book. He wrote serial style, in episodes appearing regularly in a magazine. So it works well to break it up in audio form.  And I'm enjoying it more this way.

In our last knitting group, before the current hiatus, we were talking about how you associate your work with other memories.

 I read Great Expectations in book form as a kid, eating winegums, so the taste of that candy comes back even now when I think of it. And I wonder if, in turn, these weavings will make me think of GE in future?

Do you have associations like this?

6 comments:

  1. Editor's note: Boud is wrong, How unusual. Anyway, everywhere she says Great Expectations, cross it off and put A Tale of Two Cities. Poor thing, we must be very kind to her..but it's still a rattling good listen,by any name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, a fascinating juxtaposition. I have Great Expectations of hearing A Tale of Two Cities read/acted; but not the same of Great Expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expect the confusion arose from the wine gums. Hopelessly drunk, got the books mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winegums - haven't thought of those in years! I must say that I really love your latest book. The colours are so saturated and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Did you ever see Two Fat Ladies joking about how as kids they would pretend to be drunk after eating winegums?

      Delete
    2. No, haven't seen that. I can see kids doing that though!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.