Saturday, March 14, 2020

Draft presentation ideas, future paper materials

I've been mulling over how to present the three Little Books, with a view to a couple of exhibits, if they actually happen, but we do have to live in the subjunctive at the moment.

Anyway, here are a couple of rough thoughts



The top one is a kind of analog landscape, the linen echoing the books. I'm leaning towards it, rather than the bottom one which looks a bit busy.

This could all change. The frame you see is a shadow box, deep frame which won't crush the contents. They'll be behind glass, secured to the background burlap.

The strip of linen I dyed long ago.  The background fabric and linen are from a work I exhibited and am now upcycling.

This is just a way of thinking about how to do this presentation without committing to framing until it's ready.

And this may just look like a terribly messy living room.


 In fact it's two things at once: very overdue massive pruning of begonias, both of which were nearly six feet tall and staggering all over the place.



 One I grew from a single leaf, the other from a crafty cutting from a friend's house..gardener's larceny.


This little plant grew from a single leaf I pushed in at the base of the parent plant.

 Both the big plants will get their revenge by bushing out and growing rapidly to make up the shocking loss.

But it's also harvesting of plant material for my next foray into papermaking, when the weather's a bit warmer.

This pruned stuff will be cut up, cooked to a pulp, blended with abaca, to make paper. Watch this space, you'll see how.

7 comments:

  1. Gardener's larceny - must remember that! I'm sure you wonder if the exhibit will be a thing, but there will be another one when all this excitement wears down. At least I hope there will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering I'm in a lockdown area, with schools ,events,colleges cancelled, postponed, closed, and no knowing when it will lift, I'm just hoping and proceeding as if.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the simplicity of the first image, and was thinking, maybe just the finished books, centered in a neat line down the linen?

    I have been delving into my (scant) collection of weaving and dyeing books, whilst I sort out "what I did wrong" vs. "what I did right", and have been using a reprint of a ca. 1918 book called "Weaving with Foot Power Looms" which is both insanely helpful and terrifying in its detail. However. In the back is a marvelous selection of dyes and mordants that made me think of you. You may already know of this book, but if not, I think it's well worth the effort to find (Dover Books has a reprint of it)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tried just the books, but it didn't quite do it. Everything went up a notch when I added the linen strip. Hard to see in pix, but it adds a lovely fineness of texture to the rough burlap and the crunchy books.

      Thank you for the book idea. I'll see if I can get hold of it.

      Delete
  4. I met a papermaking artist in my youth and fell in love with texture and color as a result. Good luck with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, paper is lovely. When I have a batch drying on various surfaces, I tend to get up in the night to visit it!

      Delete
  5. How cool is this! I will watch this space to learn how. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.