Thursday, January 16, 2020

Design by nature

Fleeting. By the time I uploaded and came in here, the shadows had changed.


The Jersey lilypad pitcher, no, not antique, the known examples are all in museums or private collections, always wonderful in morning sun. The shifting foliage, too, blurred because moving in the wind, lovely accompaniment to morning tea.

This pitcher is modern, craftsman made, using same materials and techniques as the early Jersey glass, pride of southern Jersey. I think it's Wheaton. If any blogista can correct this, please do.

4 comments:

  1. Glass that delicate aqua green color is the prettiest glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That and cobalt blue are my favorite glass colors. The transparency brings them to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love glass (and wood). When I was a kid I saved my allowance for months so I could buy a piece from the glass blower that came to the local fair. Remember the glass swans that you would put coloured water in and the water would raise and lower in the neck of the swan according to atmospheric conditions? Perhaps you don't, but they were common here at the time. I would have happily spent the entire day just watching the glass blower at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one of those swans. Made by the glass blower at Andy's lab.

    The mantel the pitcher is standing on is handmade for me from a piece of antique mahogany. I love how it raises the whole tone of the place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.