Sunday, September 22, 2019

Tatting under way

Since finishing the epp pillows involves climbing up to the studio, ironing the tape stuff to stabilize the rosettes on the background, before cutting and stitching, it has to wait a couple of days. It needs more energy and skill than I currently have at my disposal. When this virus departs, I'll be up for it.

Meanwhile, a bit of research on YouTube made it clear that  you can tat without a shuttle, or a tatting needle.

I found a big needle with a fairly blunt tip, among my collection,and I'm learning needle tatting. No need to shop at all. Handy crochet thread lying around. I thought the shuttle was a bit too fussy. No doubt I'll eventually find out why it's good.





So I proudly show you my first circle, complete with picots. This is fun, and doesn't take much energy. Wobbly first effort, but I got the hang of it. New skill, wheeee.

In the course of this adventure, I found various pronunciations of picot, ranging from peeko, the one I knew, to pickOT, to peekart. But it's the same stitch.

And word prompts keep offering tarting and tasting, and tattooing, for tatting. I also found some viewers on YouTube who thought needle tatting was about diy tattooing and were surprised to see thread flying about.

And no, I don't know what I'll do with it, just learning the skills right now. I doubt if I'm up for doilies or lace edged hankies.

4 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work!! This is one of my most favouite ways to relax.
    Sue in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use a shuttle or a needle? I'm so glad a fellow tatter saw this post. Can you email me pix of your work? I'd love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one of those needle arts that manages to elude me. I've tried both needle and shuttle and am a dismal failure at both (as Sue...Mrs. Noofy....will attest as she tried unsuccessfully to teach me!). (And I can answer your question I think - I believe she uses both shuttle and needle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks. I think tatters if that's the word, use both. And I find you can also use a crochet hook. No end of the possibilities.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.