Thursday, January 10, 2019

What I did once let loose with a Tunisian crochet hook

This week has been punctuated with forays into Tunisian crochet, discovering you can do all kinds of stitches and patterns.

Quite a few attempts I did on a regular crochet hook, but I finally decided to take advantage of the real reason for the length of the hook, and I converted the earlier start on the mixed yarn crochet experiment over to Tunisian work.

 This way I can count on getting straight edges, unlike regular crochet where my edges tend to wander in and out, try I never so, as the little maidservant always says in the mystery stories. She usually adds that her stomach turned over and she came over all funny, but I didn't go that far.

So I pulled out the earlier piece and I'm happily reworking in it in Simple Stitch. This makes a really firm fabric, great for a pillow cover or maybe a purse. We'll see. It feels better.




And here's the hook loaded and unloaded. You hook across right to left in the pattern, then hook and slip back left to right. That makes a single row.




Here are the presentable results, top a potholder using shortrowing to make this circle, next top honeycomb stitch, next smocking stitch, then a stab at feather and fan, then the reworked stash buster. There are better images of the top two in earlier posts.

If you've never tried Tunisian, give it a try. It's fun.





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I can't seem to stop trying stuff. Most of the work is experiments, to learn techniques so I'll know them if I need to. Just like any art, really.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.