Sunday, February 17, 2019

Spinning, clockwise, that is

Spinning has worked its way back to my days, and yesterday for a change,  I tried using my left hand to spin, right hand  to hold the roving. Cramp ensued very fast, so I went back to my Tunisian crochet.

Being in a lazy frame of mind, not up to taking the yarn off the spindle, setting the twist, all that. So I crocheted straight off the spindle.



Today I resumed right handed spindling. But in the course of wandering about spinning blogs and tutorials, I realized I was doing the S counterclockwise twist, not the traditional Z clockwise twist.

Not wrong exactly, but the snap I was doing to spin the spindle was more laborious than the flick that spinners usually do. So I switched and the yarn likes it.




One small drawback is  forgetting the direction, and spinning counterclockwise, which causes a mass unraveling. Then a bit of cursing, then respinning.

I still have a supply of undyed merino roving to spin. And to dye.  So, further adventures are lurking.

2 comments:

  1. I think I may have missed the decades-long window of opportunity for learning to spin. That instant cramping thing sounds very familiar, and appears, along with extensive aching, in many areas of my life. I'm glad I learned to knit when I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in my late seventies when I learned, and at first could work only short periods, had to switch off with other work. I've found that the weight work does keep my hands working well, though that wasn't why I took it up.

    But I don't have any arthritic problems, just the results of damage during the caregiving years. It's pretty manageable. I know you have other health issues, and you know best what's a good fit for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.