Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Wild art yarn

Spinning and plying are moving along, but less intensely. Now I spin in the intervals of doing other things rather than the reverse. This means a slow output but it's physically a better idea.

So here's today's production.

I'm learning a lot about plying as I go. For one thing I need to use a heavier spindle so that the yarn doesn't take over and start spinning the lighter spindle backwards.

The slippery gold and orange fiber is determined not to spin, then not to ply and I'm determined to persuade it to work with me on this. It's very short staple, that's the  fiber length, so it separates before you know it.  Dizzing and drafting was a challenge. It's like a spirited and beautiful animal that doesn't follow the rules of its kind. But it's so lovely you stay with it.

And it has joined its wild untamed friends.


This sweater will really be a coat of many colors. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. It's also warm, always a plus when an artwork keeps a person warm.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful yarn! A coat of many colors would be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be pretty good. I'm hoping to get done before warm weather comes again!

      Delete
  3. I have no idea what it takes to spin yarn. But it is nice to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a labor intensive artform that's fun to watch and observe. But speaking as one who loves to do it, it's even more fun to do.

      Delete
  4. You must have such a sense of accomplishment as you look at these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no. I'm pleased with them, but they're growing slowly, so labor intensive. But the pleasure of spinning is enormous.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.