Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Plain and Fancy

If you're familiar with that classic book of stitching history, by Susan Swan, doyenne of American stitching history, and late of Winterthur



you'll know what I'm about. If you're not familiar with it,check it out.

The constellation piece, aka Fancy, is  resting today, while I have a change of pace, doing some Plain work. 

You may remember in the winter I got terry towelling and cut it into towel-sized pieces to hand-hem and replace old tattered seen-better-days ones.

 The idea being each new one instantly displaces an old one, which can go to animal rescue or vet's office, wherever useful. Things have changed and I don't think that will work just now. 


However I thought I could still get on with it. And here's today's work. It's very calming hand stitching something useful. I'm a great devotee of doing with your hands even if machines exist for the same purpose. I don't need the speed of a machine here. 


On the left, newly hemmed towel, on the right, the ancient one it's replacing.

I add that I'm very glad people are using machines to make masks and gowns, desperately needed right now. I don't own a machine, gave mine away years ago, so I handmade a couple of masks for my own use only. 

This plain work also keeps your skills sharp for the fancy stuff, an added bonus.

9 comments:

  1. My hands are shot; too many brain injuries. At my age (77), my mother still produced beautiful needlework. I've kept a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've kept some. You are still doing beautiful weaving. I'm still thinking about the piece of fabric you gave me, deciding in its future!

      Delete
  2. I think many people are surprising themselves throughout this entire being forced to stay home and are learning that slow stitching is a balm for the soul. I use my machine a lot but for true enjoyment it's always stitching by hand that makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, likewise knitting and crochet. It's the gentle repeated movements, I think.

      Delete
  3. I could not get by without my sewing machine although I wish I could do more hand work. Between arthritis, carpal tunnel and bad vision I cannot do much handwork. I used to love to do embroidery. I bet that book has some gorgeous work in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get to see it, I think you'd like it.

      Delete
    2. If you can get to see it, I think you'd like it.

      Delete
  4. Hand sewing is meditative. Listening to audio books or the radio lends itself to better concentration when hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And when I see the work later, I remember what I was listening to. And vice versa.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.