Tuesday, July 16, 2019

EPP in progress.

Sounds medical, but it's English paper piecing.



This is the progress to date. It's the stage where you tack the fabric squares onto the templates, to make neat patches.

After I get all the patches set up like this, I can arrange them in a design I like, before overstitching the patches together.

At that point, you avoid stitching through the templates, then once all the piecing is complete, you take out the tacking and release the templates to use again.

These are 1.5 inches square, pretty much dictated by the printed designs.

And they're definitely of the just one more school of  work.  So this is the latest technique I'm learning.  Very portable, the whole lot fits into a medium sized bag.

6 comments:

  1. Afterthought: aside from the heat, there's another hitch to contend with. This year's allergies are fierce, swollen irritated eyes, congestion etc. All exacerbated by natural fibers, from which microscopic bits come off as you spin or weave. But it will subside when the weather cools, so I live in hope. I'm still doing sections in acrylic for Warm up America, since it doesn't irritate. Okay, back to your regular programming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz, you may enjoy another blog I've been reading for years:
    http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.com
    Florence does a lot of EPP, and last year published a book on it. All of her sewing is meticulous and creative. She's a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've looked at her from time to time. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like very meditative work. Perfect when dealing with stuffed up heads and snuffly noses and puffy eyes. Allergies are NOT fun!! I'd still love to try EPP, but I'm tamping the temptation down. At least for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is. So nice to revive my sewing skills. And I've always loved hand sewing, so this is just right. I think I've never been interested in quilting because everyone I know who does it uses a machine. But this is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think the main attraction for me to play with EPP is the fact that it's hand work.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.