Sunday, July 14, 2019

Announcing a new rabbit hole

Too hot in the studio to weave, a bit humid for knitting, so until cooler weather,  I need a portable rabbit-, I mean artform. One I can do in little sections, anywhere.

And thanks to Kate Jackson, the YouTube presenter of The Last Homely House East of the Sea, which I love and recommend, I'm trying my hand at English paper piecing.

Me, the nonquilter. This is the sort of paper piecing where you remove the paper templates at the end, for reuse.

I like working in parts that will be incorporated into something bigger, a lot of my art works that way. And reusing the templates appeals, too.

I don't have a fabric stash, never use it much. But I realized I have a rayon vest already printed patchwork style, giving me a lot of patterns, and I haven't worn it for ages.



So here's the vest


And here are the patches cut out,  and sorted into like designs,plus scraps,just in case.


And here's the kit of patches, template and card stock ready to go. Needle, thread, scissors, done.

So we'll see how it goes. Meanwhile, I've added e.p.p. to my esoteric fiber vocabulary.

3 comments:

  1. I've made half a dozen patches now, and I quite like this. I'll report as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh - I sense a new obsession! What a brilliant idea to harvest your vest for fodder for your creativity too. Looking forward to seeing where this takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately I don't have large supplies of fabric, and I am constitutionally unable to buy fabric to cut it up, so the danger is contained!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.