Saturday, August 23, 2014

Stitched Wilderness continues

Two parts going on at once: in the kitchen, mulberry paper over tiles, molded with water, drying and ready to be installed somewhere on the crocheted foliage.











And in the living room, while I listen to an audiobook, the beginnings of a luna moth, with help from Jane Nicholas' wonderful new embroidery book about stumpwork butterflies and moths.






It arrived yesterday and I whipped through it in search of a luna moth.


 What you see here are the forewings, wired and to be stitched much more, around the edges, and the "eyes" to be stitched.  This is a wired ribbon, wire removed, which I used to cut out the forewings, and will use for the hind wings, too, needed to do the forewings in order to see if it worked.  

I secured them in place on the muslin with gold silk thread, then applied the wire, taken from the edge of the ribbon, just right for the purpose, stitched down again.  This is the engineering part of it.  

The decorative stitching will hide all these underpinnings.  Then once the hind wings are done, too, all will be cut out and transferred to a different backing, to be part of the artwork.  Along with other butterflies and moths, I think.   I plan on a lot of goldwork for these insects, rather than the natural colors.

And, for a little example of how life imitates art, go here


4 comments:

  1. oh. wow. That moth is absolutely beyond incredible!! I can see that book is going to be on my wish list sooner rather than later. Have you seen 'The Art of Annemieke Mein' book? Her butterflies and moths are absolutely astounding! No instructions, but incredible beauty to study. Library should have a copy, or be able to get it for you if you don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your moth is coming along beautifully, I have a couple of Jane`s books but have to own up to only looking and not doing. Like Magpie said the art of Annemieke Mein`s book is wonderful, my sisters best friends Mum lived next door to her in Australia and has lots of her early work I am so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really understand all the techniques but it's very interesting work and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is going to be a stunning piece of work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.