Friday, September 30, 2011

You come at art by various means

Various means, some of them mysterious. Anyway, today I found myself studying some fiber pieces on the wall waiting for me to figure out their next stage, and realized I needed fabric behind them, to stabilize and be part of the work and to think it was to do it.

I thought about some of the knitted pieces I've felted, and on the way to finding them in the studio found a bunch of lovely silk and canvas and cheesecloth and other such great stuff. The silk seemed about right for what's going on here at the moment.

White silk is nice but oh well, it needs a little something. So I made a batch of strong coffee and dropped the pieces into it, careful to keep a little air in, so as to have designs, not a solid dye job. Then hung them up in the blessed sunshine we finally got some, and painted them a little more using a turkey baster and let them blow in the sunshine, finally ironed them and made casings temporarily at the tops and slid them onto a dowel to see how they work now.

















At this point they could work with several of the other works, and maybe one I still have in progress,but we'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. A very neat idea which I have to try sometime. My daughter often uses coffee to stain her art paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.