Monday, January 25, 2021

More wonders of Peru, and Goats Magosh rules!

Another wonderful presentation by the Fowler Institute of UCLA.  About four selvedge weaving, which if you have followed this blog a while, you'll know I experimented with very happily a while back.  Won an award for a piece, too, always nice to note. 

What I didn't know was the Peruvian Indian weavers were doing this wayyyyy back in about 600 AD.  I learned the method from watching Sarah Swett, inspired artist, cartoonist, spinner, weaver and Nice Person.

Here's a simple example of it, done by a modern weaver just to show the technique

Four selvedges means all four edges finished, no cutting off the loom.

Two selvedges is what we are used to seeing in other cultures, where lengths of fabric are woven, then cut to purpose.  The Peruvian weaving was done to purpose, already the correct size and shape for the garment when it came off the loom.

Here are some beautiful examples of four selvedge netting, amazing works.This presentation will be available for you to watch on the Fowler Institute website, as soon as they load it, and I really recommend you take a look, if you are interested in the history and art of textiles.  It's only about half an hour long.

And near the beginning they reference Ed Franquemont.  I promptly asked if he was connected with Abby Franquemont, whose book Respect the Spindle,

I've talked about in here, just a brilliant account of spindle spinning and its history.  Turns out he was an anthropologist and was her dad!

My Covid brain, which already let me down in the context of pumpkin bread, for which see https://fieldfen.blogspot.com, let me down here again.  

I completely forgot that the Fowler Institute is based at UCLA, and when they said noon, I was all ready, ate lunch early so as not to have to wrangle food and laptop.  Checked in, and it said wait till they start, 3 p.m. est....aaaaahh. Noon pacific time.  Fine. Came back then, and it was wonderful.

Then in today's mail, reinforcements arrived on the roving front, to continue my work on the jacket.  Look at this array of color and texture!  all this came out of three little lunchbags, I think they must have a packing machine..such pleasure in my future.  Goats Magosh comes through for me again.

Happy spinner here!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.