Saturday, December 5, 2020

Morning spent in heaven

 Today's presentation from the textile museum was so worth the time. Two Sotheby's colleagues, with a combined 80+ years of knowledge and experience in rugs and carpets, sharing memories and knowledge.

I just want to give you a little gallery of what I saw. They responded to questions promptly, and another expert, not on screen, was quick to pick up on the q and a.

















This is a treasury of knowledge and textile history and preservation. And I think everyone with an interest in making can get ideas from these designs and colors. And I bet you've seen some of these motifs in contemporary fabrics and rugs, too.

All natural dyes, they predate the aniline processes of the 19th century. Some silk, some wool, all masterpieces in textiles.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They're wonderful. Some are woven, some knotted, some embroidered.

      Delete
  2. I can see why you would feel you were in heaven seeing all these treasures. This afternoon I treated myself to a re-read of Jan Messent's book (Celtic, Viking and Anglo-Saxon Embroidery) and I feel exactly as you did over seeing these. One day I hope to buy more of her books. Hopefully they're equally as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must see if I can read that. Wonder if our library has it?

      Delete
    2. I thought you got it from the library once before when I was nattering on about it, but I could be wrong! If you can get it, do.

      Delete
    3. It's not there. I can ask them to acquire it, but as of now, nope.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.