Friday, November 27, 2020

Inbox reveal

 You saw this on Field and Fen


And here's the rest of the story.  As you see, signed and personalized by the maker; Akerworks  is a small company


It's my birthday present to me from moi.  A geranium spindle, modular, you pick the color and style of the whorl. I think the whorl, that's the roundish bit that's not the shaft, is 3D printed. And you choose the shaft length. And the parts are a perfect, snug fit.



This whorl can be slid up and down the shaft, depending on whether you like to spin with a high whorl, like here, which I do, or a low whorl, which some people do, and I don't.  My wooden Schacht spindles can be switched to turn whichever way you want, the hook at the top of the whorl, and there's a groove incised in the bottom to hold the yarn if you like the bottom whorl way instead.


So I quickly assembled the two pieces, and went for a test drive.  I had seen this in use on YouTube, and was impressed by the speed  the spinning teacher could get on the spindle without a lot of effort.  I find that my wooden ones need enough pressure that I get a bump on my finger where it keeps having to apply pressure on the turning motion. But I wondered if this is a user problem, and if the new one would be as laborious for me as the wooden ones.

But look. This spindle has that thing at the base of the shaft, see it?  to hold for the flicking movement.  And after my first try, I have to say this is the Lambo of spindles.  Compared to this, my Schachts, much as I love them, are more the Honda Civic, trustworthy, reliable, will never get up a turn of speed, at least for me.

There are a couple of other advantages, too, to this shape, but no need to go into every detail.  Just call me a happy customer of the folks at Akerworks.

I've been promising myself one of these for ages and ages, and finally thought, why not, you're worth it. So I did.

12 comments:

  1. Uhoh just don't get a speeding ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift. ;^) I just spent 15 minutes or so watching a video tutorial and viewing the interchangeable whorls. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there's a future spinner around here?

      Delete
    2. Do you read minds?!? I almost wrote that I'm now talking myself down from the idea of starting a new hobby. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you gifted yourself! We need to do that sometimes and besides, who knows better what we really want! I don't work with yarn as you do but from your description this does sound very special. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun times ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems that I adapted the hook protector as a handy shaft thing to help me spin. So it has more than one use. I expect the maker will be fine with that. It's good to have something over the hook to stop it snagging on everything annoyingly. But it's better to adapt the shaft to my own big mitt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first saw the picture I thought you were taking up plumbing! Remember the old taps that looked similar to that? I guess they still are in many basement laundry rooms. Just another little insight into how my mind works (or doesn't, depending on your viewpoint!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shutoffs all look like that. No wonder it looked familiar when I first saw it in use on YouTube. And I wonder if a faucet handle could be a good whorl. It's got the heft, anyway. Hmmmm. I might look into that. With a dowel rod inserted into the middle...

      Delete
    2. Now that might prove to be an interesting experiment!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.