Monday, July 27, 2020

Teatime technical problem and solution

Since covid, Handsome Son's appearances chez Mom, nowadays delivering the groceries for me, followed by a visit involving a pot of tea and homebaked items, have undergone an overhaul.

Instead of one serving plate of whatever I baked, and a large common pot of tea, we've adapted.

 Now it's two stations, each with its own baked goods serving plate, sugar, him not me, spoons and milk pitcher. And individual teapots.  One at each end of the coffee table.

Here's the technical issue: the handle doesn't work for Handsome Son's hand. It slips. He needs a napkin to keep his knuckles from hitting the pot, ow. He doesn't have a lifetime of experience in pouring tea. As the hostess I've always done it.

So now we need some insulation, and I think a tea cosy is called for.  Not to keep the pot warm, it doesn't get the chance to get cool, but to save the heir's mitt.



I have great insulation here, handspun llama yarn from Bolivia, from a woman's co-op. Paid fair trade for it, too, still not wildly expensive. And with the added interest of bits of Bolivian grass and seeds here and there.

If this keeps llamas warm at high elevations, it should work at our teatable.



So I measured the recipient, too bad to cover up this design, but oh well. Two needles, 32 stitches, double rib. I'll work without a pattern, just leave slits to accommodate the spout and handle. Not unlike fingerless gloves I've made in the past.



I hadn't planned on this little project, but last evening the piteous cries of the wounded offspring, well, more like an indrawn breath and snort, pressed the issue.

So here we are.

7 comments:

  1. I know you have chosen the practical solution here, but have you ever scrolled through pictures of handknit tea cozies? Oh my gosh! Pots of flowers, cottages, beehives, Blue Willow patterns...tea cozy patterns appeal to me, so much so that I've bookmarked loads of them and even bought one - a colorwork carousel of sheep from Kate Davies - though I have zero need for a tea cozy. Or so I thought...you've given me hope ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome to the designs. Yes, I'm very familiar with them. I'm happy with my llama ccosy.

      Delete
    2. Of course you are ! Just making conversation here :)

      Delete
  2. Piteous cries - oh my word. The mental image that conjured up!! One must do what one must to protect our offspring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if it comes to making a tea cosy, not my favorite accessory. Too Mrs Miniver for me really. But needs must.

      Delete
  3. Neat and fun way to get the tea poured

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.