Sunday, July 26, 2020

Summer jacket finishing

This is a really important process, finishing the neckline and seams, to look fitted and as if it's supposed to have been like this all along.

This fabric presses a treat, beautiful seams, and now I'm sealing the neckline with bias binding. Then the pins and the white basting thread come out.


 See how well the outside is shaping? I'm happy about it. The neckline is the most visible part, and I'd like it to look right.  Silk thread from a seamstress long gone, bias binding likewise, weaving from an artisan. Honoring everyone with the best handstitching I can do. 

When I wear this, I'll be in the company of women. 

7 comments:

  1. That is looking wonderful. I wondered how you would handle that slippery, slippery thread! You should be very, very proud of your skills with needle and thread. They equal my mother's and her mother's, and her grandmother, who rapped her knuckles with the silver thimble when her quilting slipped below twelve stitches--per inch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I learned from good seamstresses. My mom made a lot of our clothes. She learned tailoring when I was a teen, made beautiful skirt suits and coats I still remember. My sister, seen in my comments as Dogonart, was a wonderful dressmaker for herself. I remember a couple of outfits she made so long ago. So I followed along making clothes for my dolls and eventually me.

      Delete
  2. It's looking lovely, Liz. The work of your hands as well as your description here is very fitting and honoring of all that is going into this piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think we should always honor the work of women, to right the balance!

      Delete
  3. Those were the days! Now I usually buy stuff and find it was made in Bangladesh. Oh dear! Mind you I still have fabric yardage on hand just in case I get the urge (and energy). Your jacket looks good and very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the close up picture of the weave - very lovely. Be sure to post a photo when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't escape pictures when I get finished!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.