Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Goat and I

So here's yesterday's foray into working with goat cashmere.

It was so good to handle, and, a bonus, since I never touched goat cashmere before, I found I'm not allergic to it. You never know. What a pleasure to handle. I had wondered about carding then decided it might be too harsh, so I just dizzed. See the tiny button, even tinier hole to pass the fiber through.



It worked fine, fibers going into place, easy to remove the few remaining guard hairs and bits of grass as I went. And it made the best spinning evah. This is my smallest spindle, but the fibers don't tend to separate anyway, so I could probably have gone heavier. The spinning motion is very good with this fiber, much less resistance than with other fibers I've used. So you can keep drafting, trusting that the spin is still happening.



Here's it's making a visit to local plant life, cameo appearance




It's five star. I'll diz more today if my fingers are agreeable, and spin, then we'll see what to make next with the resulting yarn.

6 comments:

  1. This is all amazing to me as I have never done anything like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me, too, every time fluff turns into yarn. Unfailingly exciting.

      Delete
  2. Just handling this must be so satisfying and seeing it turn into yarn is fun to watch even from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so different from sheep fiber. And spins up so obligingly.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.