Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Diz and Liz

One of the best ways for me to have a good day is to learn something new. Today it was the purpose of the diz. I've heard of this spinning tool many times, usually mentioned by spinners who assume everyone knows what it is and what it does.

Then today's Spinning Sara email arrived, with a link to her YouTube channel, explaining it all.  Complete with ideas on how to improvise one, if you don't have one, which I didn't.

Turns out it's pretty simple, a circular piece of anything, with a hole in the center. You need a threader to start the roving through it. I used the inside of a covered button and a tiny crochet hook (thanks, Judy, again). Like this





The idea is that when you have a hank of roving which is very resistant to drafting, you pass it through the diz which renders it a whole lot more amenable to drafting and spinning.



  I have a couple of these hanks, so I tried it out. I'd been thinking I wasn't good at drafting. Seems that even the best spinners run into this now and then.




So I learned to turn practically unspinnable roving into much friendlier fiber. Quite a good bit of learning.

And it satisfied a need to spin.

7 comments:

  1. Very cool. I love learning new stuff too. It's the best! Here's to having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Interestingly, it looked darker and muddier before I dizzed it. It catches the light differently now. More air in it. I need more practice to get a better yarn. But now I know the principles.

      Delete
  3. I love fabric art and you make so many fun and beautiful creations. I like making quilts but I've not ventured much past that. I've never done any kind of spinning. It does look interesting and that color is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like hand sewing you might like English paper piecing. It's slow and intricate, very good for letting your mind settle at stressful times.

      Spindle spinning does this, too. I don't like the wheel, but I love my spindles.

      Delete
  4. Interesting - another thing I've learned about from you. I am never bored when I visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that. I keep finding new things I don't know.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.