Saturday, April 4, 2020

More stars

I was supposed to be making a dressy fashion-forward mask today. Fabrics all washed, dried, ironed, ready for action. Then I found I'd mislaid the measurements which I'd written down carefully. Somewhere.

So, until the piece of paper showed up, I cut diamonds. And templates for diamonds. And basted the fabric onto the templates.


This kind of quiet hand stitching, listening to a good audiobook is such a relief from the mad rush of bad news.  Then I'll be whipstitching the diamonds together into stars, for future use in some art thing. It doesn't do to lock yourself into an idea too soon, so this vagueness is fine at this point.  Anyway, that's my story.

Some blessed soul has started uploading very well-read Georgette Heyer audiobooks on YouTube, so one of my favorites, the funny  The Reluctant Widow, is accompanying my stitching.

Then while I was in YouTube, I found the video with the measurements. 14.5"x8" in case I forget again. And cut out a piece of fabric, a lovely batik cotton that looks like a sky with clouds.

 I don't have a scarf suitable for wrapping round my face, knitted and open weave no use, and I seem to be the only person on earth who does not own a bandana.

So a mask will happen, and maybe if I wear it out walking, it will help with whatever's making me sneeze and snort and generally make a lot of noise when I get home. It's the hayfever season.


The principle is simple, and you see the sum total of my notes. If I get this made, I'll do a selfie, and that'll teach you to ask questions, Missy!


13 comments:

  1. Batik is dense and a good fabric for a mask from home, as all masks seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and that's probably why it's warm. You can breathe through it, but warm air quickly builds up. But cooler fabric would probably be too porous to he effective.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure that any plain fabric mask is effective.

    I guess I'm a little confused. Your last post on these stars gave me the impression that they were paper and you were sewing paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the main advantages of the fabric mask is to stop the wearer from touching her face, also as a reassurance to other people that you're at least trying! Nothing short of a high tech mask actually blocks microbes.

      The English paper piecing does confuse people. You create your shapes by using templates made from paper or card. You use templates because it enables you to handle complex shapes. You cut the fabric pieces bigger than the templates, fold them over the shape, baste in place avoiding putting the needle through the templates. Join all the basted pieces with whipstitching, create the artwork with them. Then, finally clip out the basting threads, remove the templates for future use. If you check on some of last summer's blog posts on epp, English paper piecing, you'll see more.

      In the past I have made and exhibited framed paper quilts, also a tin quilt (!), but this is all fabric.

      Delete
    2. Just noticed that the phone shifted an insert into the wrong place. A lot of use. When you baste the fabric OF COURSE you pierce the template. It's what keeps it on. It's when you whip the pieces together that you avoid hitting the template, because you need to remove and reuse it later. Sorry.

      Delete
  3. Stay safe my friend. I just heard on our news this morning that NJ is in a bad way. We will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been isolating for weeks, but have good neighbors and my son is close by. As of today the curve is flattening. But we have multiple cases in my little town. I'll continue to take care! And thank you for thinking about me.

      Delete
  4. Very, very cool. I have not made a mask yet. But I do have plenty of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you sew, it's pretty easy. I think it's more a morale builder than anything, but it might help hold down the viral load. All these medical expressions we're learning.

      Delete
    2. Yeppers. I sew. I enjoy it a lot but this week, I'm all about the garden and fixing a wall. Though, I do have some materials outside that I want to toss together for an upcoming sewing project.

      Yeah, I think in some cases these are just to help a bit but unlike the N95 masks, they just can't do that. But they can be fun to put together, share. I love seeing the fabrics people are doing and hey, if it can lesson a few droplets and bring more awareness then that's cool.

      Delete
  5. I think some of the early discouragement coming from the CDC, doctors etc, about cloth masks was their fear that people would think they conferred safety, and not worry about distancing and hand washing. Also they worried that people wouldn't know how often to sterilize etc.

    But they weren't taking into account how helpful it is when people feel useful making and distributing them. I believe a lot of folks have calmed down because they have a task they can do without medical credentials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mask making, as you know, has been happening here as well. It's something we can do to feel as though we're helping people. I just wish I could wear one myself - far too claustrophobic for that I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's a bit warm. But, getting shopping done for me and being able to postpone other commitments, means I'm rarely in a situation where I need to wear one. I have it with me in case.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.