Thursday, April 2, 2020

Change of pace, diamonds and stars

I needed a change of pace from spinning and weaving for the moment.

So I went and retrieved the paper piecing diamonds, which I organized away during that January Great Winnowing.  The winnowing saved me a lot of time and annoyance, really glad I did it when I did, before life changed dramatically.


I found quite a few pieces already wrapped for joining, and templates cut to continue wrapping


So I decided to make stars, random color choices, just go. By my standards these are huge -- 10.25" tip to tip! Massive!

I'm making raw material. Might be mobiles, bags, pillows, vest fabric, background for framed weaving, throw, no need to know yet. And peaceful basting and whipstitching is about as calming as you can get.

I made a great discovery, to listen while I stitch. Jennifer Ehle, yes, Lizzy from Pride and Prejudice, is reading it live on her Instagram account and putting the recording up on YouTube.


 Totally unrehearsed, sometimes commenting on the characters, sometimes needing a couple of runs at an unfamiliar word, her dog barking, family barging in forgetting she's working, it's very much being read to rather than read at.

This is more my speed than running about trying to recreate the lives we used to have on Zoom. We're suddenly in a new era. I think it's better to learn how to live now than try to seize yesterday. Just my thoughts. Agreement not required! Life's an unfolding artwork to manage as best we can.

14 comments:

  1. The at home face time programs are fun to watch, especially for the background, decor, noise, pets, persons.
    Pretty star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best one evah was the serious commentator doing a segment for BBC about some crisis, when his two kids come bursting in, and he's fending them off. Didn't have the presence of mind to angle the camera to cut off his wife on all fours trying to corral two small children and get the door closed behind them. I don't think anyone knows what he was actually talking about.

      Delete
  2. As a young girl my mother made so many quilts, by hand. I never excelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only sort of sewing I'm interested in is hand sewing. That's why English paper piecing appealed when I discovered it last summer. Intricate, interesting, by definition handmade.

      Delete
  3. I love your stars. I have never been a quilter, but I may learn soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stars. I have never been a quilter, but I may learn soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are 60degree diamonds, which you use for the tumbling block design too. If you're interested in English paper piecing, you can't do better than see Flossie Teacakes book on the subject. Wonderful history of the form and teaching with complete instructions and templates. You have to download and print a lot of templates, too, but it's worth doing. Very satisfying. I've blogged about it, just check the subject listing in the right column (web version).

      Delete
    2. Florence Knapp, English Paper Piecing, us the book ref.

      Delete
  5. yep. yesterday is gone. I didn't think there would be any great change after this flare up died down, that people would go back to their prior lives but that was before. before Trump refused to help and pitted the states against each other. compete or die. this is why you can't run a country like you would run a business and he's not that great at running a business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right: it's wise not to assume we know an endpoint, and that our lives will resume as before. For one thing, it's changed us as people. We won't be the same, because of the experience we've been through. Those of us who survive, that is. Not being gloomy, just realistic.

      Delete
  6. Interesting to see you doing some EPP. I look forward to seeing what you do with them as I know it won't be traditional, whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look back in my index down the right hand column for posts on my epp capers last summer! I learned a lot.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear - that's two people that I've seen that are EPPing and getting me wishful thinking again. I know myself well enough to know that my grand desire for a bed quilt done with hexxies is destined for failure before it gets started. I know the flame will fizzle and go out before I've gotten very far. I KNOW that, but a girl can dream. But then...waffle/waffle....I could make hexxie flowers and applique them onto a plain backing....but then, I know myself.....ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could reduce the dream to a pillow, and satisfy the need before giving up?

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.