Sunday, March 15, 2020

Framed. For now.

Framing is not a favorite task. But after quite a bit of cursing and maneuvering and opening and repositioning, the books trying to escape all the while, I did manage.

 This may have to be opened again. It's hung to see if the parts will hold up on exhibit,  not slump down on being vertical after a  while. They are adhered, but sometimes glue dries and everything slithers around.

 One good thing is that nowadays I don't get a frame cleaned, set, and closed and then find a cat hair under the glass. It's like not seeing a typo until you hit publish. You absolutely can not detect cat hair until too late.


So here it is


And here it is on my exhibit wall, which is just there to study pieces, not as home decor. It's strictly a workshop test, really.

Friends do like to poke around and see what I've done lately, though. So they have fun.  The pieces are a bit lopsided. But it's a working wall, defensive crouch here.

The sofa bears some of the results of last summer's learning, English paper piecing. I blogged about that if you're interested in checking the topics listed down the right column if the web version. That was an adventure.

And now I can do more spinning and weaving. A lot of ideas to try. And I have to assemble the books for the woven wool covers, too, probably using coffee filters for pages.

 But I'm really wanting to spin right now.

15 comments:

  1. This is great fun and I can relate to the swearing. And also, let hair. Only here it's dog dogs hair popping up in my photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be an electrostatic charge which draws in the hair as you fasten down the glass. Much worse with plexi, too.

      Delete
    2. I believe it.

      For my and photos, there's a magical force that puts one single dog hair in the shot that I don't see until I'm in post.

      Happy New Week.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you like following them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, the background fabric fringe is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I do like a bit of fringe. And burlap is a good fabric for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is there glass in front? it's a shame you can't see the insides of the little books. maybe if you place one open?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can see a glimpse from the right. It's more about the concept than the actual books, really. They're too fragile to go through the jurying and exhibiting process without glass, and would probably not be accepted for jurying without it. One of the realities of this kind of work. It's risky putting work like this on view to the public without protection.

    Your reaction is very nice though, and if it's accepted I might hear it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh! So glad to catch this post. I love seeing how you've frames these books. And I love seeing your "working wall". I've yet to put anything on the walls of my freshly painted crafty space. You may have given me some courage to think outside the box about it. A working wall means I'm not committed to anything about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yes, just go ahead and pin stuff anywhere on your planning/working wall. That way you'll see much more than being close up. Work seen from across the room is do different.

      Also remember to hang a mirror at eye level, so you can hold up your work and see its reflection. This tells you a lot about balance that doesn't show up when you just look.

      And maybe you'll show us pix when you get under way.

      Delete
    2. The mirror idea is new to me! I now often I don't truly see how something looks until I take a picture of it. Looking at a photo often clears up for me issue of balance and color play. And, of course, it's usually only after I've taken a picture that I notice all sorts of things that are distracting.

      Delete
  8. Great job framing. It's a job I hate and right now I'm looking at two wonderful prints that were gifted to me and just arrived in the mail today and contemplating what/how to frame them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, as an artist friend of mine says, if you want the fun of framing you have to go through the misery of making art..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.