Monday, March 30, 2020

Backstage, where the work goes on

If you're interested in the Dollivers, you might like to try your hand at making one or more, using up some yarn stash. I didn't design them from scratch, but adapted them, and their knitted clothes, including undies,


Some of their wardrobe..

from Knitted Babes by Claire Garland, a perfectly lovely woman who was quite happy with my liberties.

 She's on Ravelry and Instagram as dotpebbles, and also designs wonderful animals and birds. I made a little flock of parakeets from her basic design. They're perching around somewhere.


Then the dogs are from Knit Your Own Dog by Sally Muir and Joanna Osborne. They also produced Knit Your Own Zoo, whence came the polar bear.

 The bear is in the home of my granddaughter, sent as a prize for completing the Calgary Marathon, her first. I followed her on a tracker, and the screams of excitement at this end when she crossed the finish line were loud enough to scare the neighbors.

Full transparency: Knitted Babes is beginner to intermediate knitting. However the breed and species specific animals are a bit more advanced.

All of them are clearly written, great pictures and you just might fancy doing a bit, if you have a whole bunch of teeny balls of yarn from a big project like a shawl. Naming no names!

The Dollivers' knitwear is from Claire's book. But the other kit they wear is often fabric I've draped and pinned for photoshoots. Like storefront mannequins, all pinned up at the back. It just takes little scraps to make neat stuff.

 They've had black sparkly evening gowns for recorder recitals, nursing caps and aprons for solidarity purposes like now, cooks' whites for kitchen capers, long black dresses with touches of white collars for suffragist events, plus the sashes, red Christmas (felt) dresses, the silk New Year's dresses. And other outfits too numerous to mention, as they say.

If you're crafty and can get the books they're fun to work from. They're also fun to browse through even if you don't knit from them. I'd hate you to be at a loose end..


8 comments:

  1. So many adorable little garments. I'm not up to knitting such small things, but I sure am glad you are (or were). I admire the creativity as well as the ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were times when I wondered why I had thought five was a good number for the troupe. Such as when I was knitting five hats, much bigger than you might think.

      Delete
  2. Love the knit your own dog. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a doll in my sewing room that was a round robin creation several years ago. She's already well dressed. My resident dragon might look cute with a hat so I might just do that if I get bored. Come to think of it, I have two magpies that might enjoy a spring hat too. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can send you some instructions. They're really fun to make, and you can arrange the brim stylishly.

      Delete
  4. I understand the time consumed knitting 5 hats. I knitted one hat and it seemed to take forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with all the Dollivers watching, arms crossed, yes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.