Wednesday, February 26, 2020

First paper thread!

I learned a lot this morning from making this wonderful new thread.




I damped it and as I worked damped my thumbs and first fingers. Although you see it on my smallest spindle, I quickly realized the spindle would put too much stress on the fiber. So I spun with both thumbs and first fingers, spinning with the right hand, feeding the paper with the left.

And you see one coffee filter turned into a lovely yarn. It looks as if it stays spun, without having to set the twist, a nice bonus.

I found that as I filled the spindle, my hands were stressed. I needed the shaft resting on my hand. So next I think I'll spin onto a thin dowel.

Now I know I can do the spinning, I'll go ahead and dye some filters ready to work with.

This is great! Books coming up. And now I'm wondering about creating pages from coffee filters..

9 comments:

  1. I went into ravelry and messaged my thanks to Sarah Swett for the idea and the instructions. Credit where it's due.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for checking yesterday's post to see what was going on here, I'm a bit befuddled at how one turns a coffee filter into yarn, but seeing the yarn, I do believe you did it. lol Now I wait with bated breath to see how you will turn this yarn into paper. My guess is, you will be weaving it...

    Or knit it?

    Does it matter?

    I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More Little Book cover weaving. Currently I have dyeing going on. I'm having entirely too much fun.

      Delete
  3. And I neglected to ask, this thread is one ply, the strand twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Single. If I plied it, it would be too bulky for my weaving.

    Since I was using both hands to spin, I couldn't do pix. But as a spinner I expect you realized the yarn told me when it was thread not just curly paper. Lovely feeling to have that transformation in my fingers. And I joined it as you normally join roving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now there's a puzzlement to me (a non-spinner)....how does yarn tell you that it's thread and not curly paper? Is it something that's even explainable or something that you just know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just feel. It suddenly feels like thread in your fingers. You can test this yourself. Just take a strip of any paper, twist it then roll and twist it between finger and thumb, and it will suddenly feel like thread or string. Easier if you damp your finger and thumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried and obviously there's a knack to it. Mine just shredded into little bits. Told you I wasn't a paper person!

      Delete
  7. It might be you worked against the grain. That would cause a breakdown. In the spinner as well as the paper. But you tried, good for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.