Friday, December 27, 2019

So, upcycling is about to happen

Here's the lovely cashmere sweater that goes in the twinset.




And I find it's too warm to wear next to my skin. So it's going to be a short sleeve cardi, after I cut it up the middle and bind the cut edges. To wear over a top.

I thought about what fabric I have, for binding, and remembered this completely stitched and finished section from a silk sari. Easy to apply. Lightweight even though it's two-sided.





I just have to decide which side I like. Should both sides match? Contrast? Use the lighter colored side? The darker side? Decisions, decisions.

I haven't even got the scissors out yet. But I will end with a short sleeve jacket and a long sleeve cardigan. They don't have to go together after all.

And if one sweater is too warm, imagine two layers of cashmere together. Great for bitterly cold English stately homes, though. In one of which I don't live.

I've been watching clever young women on YouTube upcycling thrift store buys. I've been doing it for years, because you get what you want to wear, cheaply, kind to the Earth, too. And it's really fun. So I have a lot in common with them.  Except they have high end sewing machines. That's a difference. I have a range of sewing needles.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a die hard thriftie shopper for clothes and am proud to say that pretty much my entire wardrobe (DH's too) was thrifted. I do draw the line at underwear though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy shoes and underwear at retail, usually on sale, and that's about it. I do well thrifting because I'm a small size, and there's less competition.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.