Thursday, December 5, 2019

Silk appliques ready to attach, on hand dyed silk square

So after all the cogitation, I moved away from the sari fabric, and I'm using this silk square as background for the appliques.

I dyed it, among other squares, for a stitching workshop a few years ago, and it wasn't used. So here it is, ready to be part of a painting in silks.



If you peer closely you'll see that the pieces are safety pinned, ready to stitch. And the shabby edges here and there will be turned under, as I stitch, so you will see a nice regular sharp edge. This is pretty much a rough draft. In fact, I moved one piece after taking this photo.

The pic is not great, since I don't have the light and distance needed to do a better one, without getting shadows. But you get the gist.

Making these appliques was pretty challenging, since they wanted to fray and skid away, but as you see, they do lie fluidly,  as I'd hoped. You can't get this sort of movement with cotton, or with anything that isn't transparent, come to think of it.

So I'm quite pleased here.

2 comments:

  1. Much as I love silk, it is a chore to stitch without it moving all over the place. Velvet is the same, but they're two of the nicest fabrics to the touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that I needed much larger margins than I was cutting. It went much better after that. This piece is almost done now. Bit more applique, pressing then framing. It's too fragile to hang from a dowel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.