Sunday, November 10, 2019

Overtaken by crumbs

I have a little bag of scraps from the cutting up of the bigger  scraps I used for epp. So I had to start using them up as part of the Winter Quilt I'm embarking on soon. This is what the initiated call crumb quilting.

There will be sections of tumbling blocks, but it's too rigid for my taste to use one regular pattern throughout.

So,  this bag of scraps, as them in the trade eg Bernadette Banner, call cabbage. And I've started attaching them randomly to one another, then pressing and cutting into more workable forms with straight edges. Like this, not all the sections attached, just strewn around at the moment.



And now , after the cutting , I have a growing heap of Scraps Too Small Even For This Project. Along the lines of string too small to save.



The bits even tinier than this I tossed. Because to keep them, that way madness lies. Lear was in bad enough shape, just think how he'd have been with crumb quilting.

This is going to be pretty cheerful, and you can just pick up any two scraps, match straight edges and stitch. No actual thinking required. Sometimes this is welcome.

4 comments:

  1. The projects that don't require thinking are often the best. Sometimes we just need to let our minds rest while our fingers carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I do with lumber. I don't know how small a piece has to be in order to be immediately headed to the stove wood box, but I've got a few hardwood pieces maybe 2x2 inches that are still considered keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know what you might make with them. Yes, this feels familiar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.