Monday, October 21, 2019

Bigger project, bigger blocks

I've been cutting fabrics and cardstock like a maniac recently, to get started on my winter project, a tumbling block random design quilt.  Epp, need you ask?



I have a feeling, since I need a lot of blocks for this, that anything I'm not currently wearing might end up pieced and inserted. I tend to get carried away.

I've created much bigger pieces for this project, about 5"  blocks, since it will be a 60"x80" quilt.

The creating of the templates, getting them sized and fitting without gaps, was a saga unto itself, but it's done, and I'm sitting up and taking nourishment now. 

I got a nice piece of terrycloth to back the quilt, and may insert a blanket as padding, we'll see.  I don't want to handle batting.

I prewashed the terry and since it was a few yards -- plans for other items as well as a quilt -- there was an astonishing amount of lint in the dryer. I could probably stuff a pillow with it. Maybe I will. It's certainly clean.

I'm still working on the pillow top using Indian sari silk and the batik. I realized that I'd better make sure the pillow gets all the bits it needs before the fabrics vanish into the winter project. Right now it's a contest.

Same approach for both projects: create blocks using three different fabrics for each, no two alike, and at the end assemble them in a good design.

Side goal: attempt to take breaks before back freezes into position causing flailing to stand up, followed by hobbling and groaning.  It's very hard to realize how much time has passed, is the hitch.


6 comments:

  1. I will be following this with interest! Two things - might want to double check your dryer hook up to be sure none of that excess lint got in there (don't want a fire)....and....re the freezing back issue, how about setting the kitchen timer to remind yourself to take breaks. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find very loud groaning helps movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely. My theory is that it brings oxygen to your muscles..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It also scares the blazes out of the muscle demon in there, makes him let go faster.

    If you're thinking about a blanket as liner, Maybe one of those acrylic 'throws', which are fairly warm, fairly lightweight, but have a goodly amount of body to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm just looking around for what I've got that will work. I'll keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.