Saturday, July 27, 2019

Ideas all over

So the pillow top is almost done,
fusible hemming tape done, needs to be stitched down, then the back attached, stuffing. Done.

So I'm looking at another idea or ten.



One is this heavy cotton runner I forgot I had, motifs of various exotic things, which I'll work into some design, using the plain backing as a contrasting element.


And the other is this batch of habotai silk samples, just waiting to be turned into a kind of suncatcher, pieced and hung in a window to catch the light.

I'm thinking about clamshell shapes, as you see, a few templates cut out, but that might change.

I might end up, whatever shapes I use, backing it up with another piece of translucent silk, one of which I have,from way back, already hemmed. It dates back to a workshop I taught on freeform embroidery on silk. I dyed the pieces for the students, but this I left white..

I have a second set of samples in shades of white and black, too, so this can go on further, if I like the first try.

I like very much being able to find art materials all round that I'd hardly registered before.

4 comments:

  1. Some more interesting experimentation about to happen! I'm with you on finding fodder for art that has been stash-lurking for far too long. My self-imposed 'no-buy' has done wonders for my inventiveness, even though on occasion I have been forced to make a trip to the fabric shop mainly to replenish something I've used up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My entire stash fits into one small basket. So it calls for inventiveness when I want to make something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inventiveness - or 'shopping' in your clothes closet!?

      Delete
  3. You saw me moving that skirt from closet to stash?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.