Monday, January 7, 2019

Look, Ma, I'm shortrowing!

Discoveries galore today. Free Ravelry download, from Staci Perry, at verypink.com. 



Dishcloth with, gasp, provisional cast on, seen at left here in white yarn,  and shortrowing! Who knew Tunisian crochet did stuff like this? Tunisian Shaker Dishcloth. Just my speed for trying out new stitches and making something into the bargain. Staci's also on YouTube, and a very good teacher, take a look at her channel.

This is so fun and I couldn't wait to show you my humble first efforts. Humble, I'm full of vanity about this caper. I even rearranged the living room lights to get a decent light over my shoulder to work with, instead of squinting.

This series of segments becomes a circle. And it's finished with Kitchener. That happens once you finish the last segment which, if you've done it right,  will abut the first. I plan to try Kitchener, since Staci is the only person who has explained it clearly and without getting me into a blur.

Of course it's being done with the nearest sturdy yarn to hand, no planning went into this. And note the cool scissor fob? Tiny yarn ball with teeny needles, on a hanging loop. Gift of Meg, fearless leader of the knitting group, as a Christmas decoration. Since yesterday was Twelfth night, and the decorations went away, I thought it would be a shame to wrap this up for a year, so it became a scissor fob.

3 comments:

  1. You ARE adventurous!! Short rows in knitting, but certainly didn't know it was a possibility in crochet as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a surprise to me too. And it's much easier to shortrow crochet. No wrap and turn, just travel back. Looks harder than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full disclosure: as usual the provisional cast on, despite my being sure I'd hooked the right parts of the crochet loops, did not work as planned. I snipped out the bits and went right along. It was okay in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.