Monday, January 21, 2019

Artisanal!

Finally got these off the needles. They look artisanal, like those ancient shoes retrieved from bogs by archaeologists.



Not surprising, since I made them exactly with the process of an old crone of yore. Processed the fleece by hand, spindle spun the yarn, dyed all but the dark green with natural dyes I collected locally. The light green is beet, with a washing soda mordant, the darker brown is black walnut, the lighter one I forget, possibly onionskins.

And though they look primitive, they'll smooth down and fit my feet with wear, and they are so warm and friendly to your feet they were worth the process.

This was my beginning spinning, uneven, but I've improved my yarn since then. I mainly used it for wallhangings, and only later tried knitting with it.

I smile at knitters declaring they will learn to spin their  own yarn, expecting right away to create uniform, machine-like,fine yarn, like the yarn they've been buying.  You don't hear much from them after a while.

It's great fun learning to spin, but a long process to do it well. I'm not there yet but live in hopes.

4 comments:

  1. Spinning isn't something that's in my future. I imagine it's an interesting process but not something that appeals. Interesting to see the various colors in your slippers and just what was used to create the colours. Surprised to see that beets end up being green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as surprised as I was! The yarn was pinkish and as it dripped dry, the pink drained off leaving this beautiful but surprising green. It was the mordant that did it. I live spinning, so historic actually making yarn, as women have for thousands of years

      Delete
  2. They look wonderful. The sort of slipper you put on and forget to take off until you're halfway to the store and think, oh dear...

    It's always nice to be able to wear or use what you make, rather than just admiring it from afar. Although that has it's perks too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been known to get as far as the car and think whoah,these pedals are hard. Then look down...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.