Wednesday, November 21, 2018

New adventure in art under way

I started my foray into sort of crazy quilting, sort of applique abstract art in fabric by finding my  little stash of fabric bits. Almost all silk or linen, some embroidery, ready for a start.



I did start with the five sided center piece, the way several YouTube tutes told me to,  and after that drifted off into various other ideas. This is all hand stitching, and the seams I know I will cover are left raw, the others turned under. Quite a bit of the silk and linen I had hand dyed or stamped or both.




And there's silk from friends, (Cynthia, some from you), the center piece is Thai silk brought back by Carol P from Thailand, there are bits of organza from Girija's wedding sari, bits of my own discarded embroidery, some rescued petit point, a surprising array from someone who doesn't work with fabric..





and when I get the base done I'll use motifs from some of the crochet I have around the house, as well as motifs from my own embroidery, in need of a good home.


2 comments:

  1. This is created in what I feel should be the true spirit of quilting - that of using what you have and not rushing out to buy all sorts of expensive fabrics that are all matchy-poo. You know I like this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think art first evolved from an urgent need to use things up!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.