Monday, October 16, 2017

Positively the final stage for the silk book and the exhibit selection

So finally, I think the last book I'm doing for the nonce is finally done.  After the pix I showed you recently, I added in the beading I'd been thinking about, an Indian necklace.  




And liked it a lot for about three seconds.  Then realized the color balance was all off. Shape fine, color too heavy. And went back and painted the beads with a metallic gold.  




And liked it a lot better.

In rl, not seen so well in pix, the gold has echoes all over the place in this piece. And the texture works nicely, the heavier beading sort of holding down the flyaway perception of the cover. There are some threads coming out of the edge of the cover, the way silk wants to, a bit rebellious.  The shape of the beaded necklace also offsets the masses of curves and anchors them.

Pleased with this.  It's got hand dyeing, using various colorings including natural ones I made, drawing with a needle, stitching, beading, papermaking, who knows what else.  A lot of fun enclosed in this little artwork.

I'm now thinking I should name the books, since they are artworks, based on the concept of the book.  And literal books do have titles anyway.  So I'll think about that before I have to make labels.

1 comment:

  1. Great choice on painting the beads the gold really pops better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.