Saturday, June 14, 2014
Goldwork acorns done
The acorn motif I started in class I finished up today. The total size of this piece is 2.25 x 2.5 inches. And I learned a thing or two from it.
This motif will recur in a bigger piece, and I will probably not use plate (that's the broad flat thread you see in the top part of the acorn) because I don't much like it.
And I will definitely do a lot more with purl, that coil like stuff, which I used in the lower half of the acorns. I cut these into very short pieces, and threaded them onto the needle to stitch them down, just like beading. I like this a lot because of the way it catches the light at every angle.
Now I have to plan the next piece, which you saw in an earlier post, drawn on the linen. This will involve a lot of couching, and I want to try a great technique I observed at our class: stitching the tacking thread closer and closer to cover more and more of the couched thread to create interesting color changes.