Saturday, July 6, 2013

Tyvek, beads and stitching in progress

Here's where I am with the Tyvek stitching, the first one I made.  It was originally a long piece, but I wasn't satisfied with the composition and split it into two parts.  This is one of them!  and you'll see three of the beaded motifs I worked on net applied here, two of them close enough to work as a unit.  The fourth, bigger one, will find a home on the other piece, I think.  Here you'll see the start of couching work, bringing in the black satin background into the design through the gaps in the painting.  

I'm posting it both ways up, and would appreciate your take on which you like better.  Or maybe you would like it with the beads lying horizontally?  crowdsourcing your art, nothing like it!! anyway, let me know if you have an opinion on it.






This may be one difference between classic embroidery and freeform art: the first one generally knows exactly where it's going at the outset, and the second is constantly open to revision.  I'm balanced precariously in both camps at times.

This piece will be in my exhibit next year, and I'll see how to render the idea in another medium. Or possibly find an existing work of mine and discover that it's already done.  This happens, that I forget the general gist of other pieces and get a surprise.

12 comments:

  1. I prefer the top version, i.e., big blueness at the top!
    xo MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I prefer the first version, the larger figure near the top left gets your attention and leads you through the rest of the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote goes to the first one too. (btw - think you might have been hacked again - just got another email from *you* from somewhere I'm pretty sure you're not asking for a bailout...oops).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I was hacked, but i've fixed everything again now, thanks.

    And thanks for the input on the artwork, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to state a preference, since I like both, however I like the second one because of the reflected light. Of course that might just be the pic. sorry, not much help perhaps. I know you'll make up your own mind anyway !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both. As someone who works freeform, I'm not sure that these are ready to be defined yet. I'd wait a bit before making up my mind, but I do tend to go overboard when embellishing. It depends on how restrained you want to be and what speaks to you when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd take the top photo turned 1/4 counter clockwise. The horizontal line fits the mood of the piece.
    I'm a follower of the freeform style. I like to see what happens as it happens. If it's all planned out in too much detail, then there is no exploration and that's the part I love best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. like playfulstitching I wondered what it would look like turned a quarter, maybe another posting for us to make up our minds please. I reported your hacking re being stranded abroad somewhere, trust I did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see a different mood in each. The first one seems to me to be more arranged and sedate; the second more free and lively. I'm no help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The top one is my first choice. However, turning it 1/4 is an interesting change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the reason I like the top way best is because then it looks kind of like a B and that is a thing my brain expects and knows what to do with.

    Following someone's suggestion of trying it on its side I like it with the straight side down, like a mountain range. Again, a familiar shape to my brain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.